Evie Joy
I love reading Heather’s blog and realize that I need to be just as diligent in writing on mine. This past week has been hard on all of us – losing Grandpa. But the silver lining is that we are remembering good things abut our lives together. One of my musings has been on how we named the girls and thought I would blog about it.
When we named our children we really took it seriously - almost that we were prophesying over them. “Evie” means life giver and she was a life giver from infancy. And we gave her the middle name of “Joy” because we were so happy to have our third little girl. She brought us Joy and we knew she would bring others joy as well.
Grandpa came to live with us when Evie was six weeks old, Bethany was two and Heather four. Gene was so weak, that we really thought he would not even last six months. The toddlers were too much for him, but he could hold Evie. And then as he was in a home – getting regular meals, and having a structured schedule, his strength returned. I would bundle Evie in her stroller and send Grandpa out to walk her around the block. He needed the stroller to steady himself. But we saw him grow in strength and spirit. Tom and I felt that Evie fulfilled her name even then. And then when she was a little girl, she prayed every night that Grandpa would quit smoking. I did not want to discourage her from praying, but honestly I had no faith. People just don't quit after 55 years of smoking. But he did. And we think that God answered Evie’s sweet prayers. And at the funeral I learned that Evie had been Grandpa’s “accountability partner” when he quit smoking. She provided the lemon drops, toothpicks, and an ear to listen, a heart that cared and a spirit that believed.
Next blog will be about “Heather Rebecca”.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I enjoyed reading your blog and remembering the pre / early days of our girls. Thank you for posting my favorite picture of the girls. It is the picture of them at 2,4, 5 years of age standing on a road in Munds Park. Heather was ready to roll, Bethany was proud of her new shoes and Evie took note of those stylish new shoes.
Post a Comment