One of my favorite stories from Star Trek reveals the moral fortitude of James Tiberius Kirk. The Kobayashi Maru was first depicted in the opening scene of the film The Wrath of Khan in which all command division cadets are presented with a no-win scenario as a test of character. It was a simulation of being in charge on the bridge confronted with an unwinnable situation. No matter what one did one lost, and lost the lives of the crew. James T. Kirk was the only Star Fleet cadet to save his crew and win in this simulation. He lost in the simulation two times, but refused to accept defeat. So before his third attempt he hacked into the Academy’s computer and reprogrammed the hypothetical so that there was a way to win.
Sometimes people or circumstances attempt to put us in a no-win situation, a double-bind. A situation where what ever we do we loose or sin. I remember hearing this situation described as, “damned if you do, damned if you don’t.” When I face these no-win situations I follow the lead of Kirk and refuse to accept defeat. If a person tries to put me in this corner I go on the offensive, stating and explaining that this is a double bind, and that I will not acquiesce to such a position. This attitude works with hypotheticals such as the “Life Boat” dilemma where we have to decide who will live and who will die. This attitudes also works when people try to give us limited, and loosing choices.
When life hands me a no win situation which I cannot dodge, I fall on the grace and promises of God. 1 Corinthian 10:13 states:
No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
I beseech the God of all hope for the way of escape. And He provides. Even if there is death, I know that there will also be resurrection. And like Kirk, I will not accept defeat, but will find the solution, or the way of escape, or, as a Christian, the hope of resurrection.
Sometimes people or circumstances attempt to put us in a no-win situation, a double-bind. A situation where what ever we do we loose or sin. I remember hearing this situation described as, “damned if you do, damned if you don’t.” When I face these no-win situations I follow the lead of Kirk and refuse to accept defeat. If a person tries to put me in this corner I go on the offensive, stating and explaining that this is a double bind, and that I will not acquiesce to such a position. This attitude works with hypotheticals such as the “Life Boat” dilemma where we have to decide who will live and who will die. This attitudes also works when people try to give us limited, and loosing choices.
When life hands me a no win situation which I cannot dodge, I fall on the grace and promises of God. 1 Corinthian 10:13 states:
No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
I beseech the God of all hope for the way of escape. And He provides. Even if there is death, I know that there will also be resurrection. And like Kirk, I will not accept defeat, but will find the solution, or the way of escape, or, as a Christian, the hope of resurrection.

1 comment:
WOW. I remember you pointing that out about Captain Kirk before...
What a good reminder.
Post a Comment