When I got married I did not know how to cook…. at all!
One summer when I was home from college my mom was out of town and had left her homemade lasagna frozen with instructions for me to heat it up to feed my dad. I served him icy-in-the-middle lasagna. He muttered, “So smart she gets great grades without even studying and she can’t even heat up food.”
My mom is a GREAT cook and a stay at home mom, so I did not need to cook. And she is “particular” about her kitchen. I am not. My mother has her refrigerator and pantry totally organized – everything has a specific place and she knows when someone has been messing around in her stuff. She can even tell if an item has been turned - because every item is turned perfectly so that one can see the labels. When asked where to put something in my frig or pantry- I typically say, “generally on this shelf, but then any where it fits.” And she likes everything spotless. For instance she would clean her stove top EVERY time it was used – even more than once a day – even if it does not look dirty. Let’s just say I am not as careful. So you can imagine the two of us working together in the kitchen- especially when I was a child!
BTW – Shout out to “little Bev”! Is your frig organized? Have you taught Mr. Miller to put things in their proper place? In the proper way?
Back to cooking. Everyone knew I did not know how to cook when I got married – even my groom. But everyone knew that I could read, so I received a huge number of cook books. And even today I like to buy new cookbooks and try new recipes.
Tomorrow I will continue with my cooking story…
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Can't wait for the rest of the story... No one would mistake me for a "little Bev", but rather much more following in your strain. But after spending a wonderful week with both of the B's, I was inspired to empty out my fridge and thoroughly clean EVERYTHING... :) It is nice to have everything that way. If there was only a magic cleaning fairy!
My cupboard isn't perfect, but I blame the cramped space. :-)
Can't wait to hear more of your story, Mom. You're a great cook and your dishes inspires me...well, except for those "miracle" casseroles you concocted from time-to-time. ;-)
One aspect of your home that I enjoyed growing up was that we could almost always get out of helping prepare meals if we were reading a book. Ever wonder why we were all voracious readers?!?!?!
doesn't work anymore... :( if I don't cook, no one does. Those sure were good times! Thanks for the reminder b.
This is so fun to read! I am afraid I am a bit like your mother, but my kids did both have a bit of cooking knowledge when they left home, despite my perfectionistic tendencies. If nothing else, they picked it up from always being in the kitchen playing "fetch and carry" for me. I think Ryan is actually the more inclined to cook of the two, which is somewhat surprising. Of course, he does like food a lot more than his sister... :-)
TM
Post a Comment