What is “poor”? In 2000 the government defined “poor” as households with incomes of $15,000 on down, But the households in this grouping spent but one half of their income on necessities.
"Some people may be surprised to learn that 50% of Americans defined by the government as 'poor' have air conditioning, 60% have microwave ovens and VCR’s, 70% have one or more cars, 72% have washing machines, 77% have telephones, 93% have at least one color television and 98% have a refrigerator. Not only are poor Americans today better housed, better clothed, and better fed than average Americans were half a century ago, in many respects they live better that the average western European does today. " (D’Souza, Virtue of Prosperity, quoted in The Good of Affluence)
This reminded me of when Bethany was asking for a scholarship as an undergrad at ASU. Her prof inquired if there was financial need. Bethany thought,” I have a tuition scholarship, I live at home for free, have food, have a car….” As she hesitated the prof followed up with, “What will you use the money on?” Bethany quickly responded, "A computer. I will buy my own computer." The prof was stunned and quickly wrote on the form that Bethany had HIGH financial need.
And last night I was having a delightful conversation with a friend – a young single working woman. She mentioned that she was “poor.” I was surprised – because she is well educated, owns a car, is well dressed and groomed (very fashionable attractive clothes, current and nice hairstyle), and seems to have discretionary income.
Perhaps in America we do not have many poor. We just have gradations of affluent.
And that begs the question; does the government have a responsibility to make sure everyone is affluent to a certain level? And, do we as individual Christians have a responsibility to make sure everyone is affluent to a certain level?
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Mom, this is a profound post. I think Americans do have a distorted view of poverty; we tend to classify it has having to live without all the luxury items we want. I certainly find myself thinking this way.
The current so-called mortgage crisis is a great example. I heard a caller into NPR bewailing her sorry state (of potentially losing her home) and arguing for government bailouts. Her situation? Well, she thought she may lose her $600,000 home!!!!!!!!!!!!
So much to think about. It will make me think twice before I complain about not having something...
Very interesting book you are reading. I will have to check it out when I finish the one I am currently in.
TM
Post a Comment