Sunday, March 16, 2008

Waiting for Godot.....err... Caffeine

A week ago Heather called me at about 8:20 AM saying, “I think I might be in labor.” Now, to tell the truth, Heather had been in labor for about 14 weeks – many of which had required bed rest and even medication to keep this little guy in utero. So she was very tentative. I asked her if Dad should come and get the two big boys. She hesitated and said, “Let’s wait and see if this is the real thing.” So I went downstairs and told Tom, who had just put on the coffee. I really wanted a cup, as I knew the Haupt’s are not coffee drinkers and none would be available. As I waited, Tom commented that I should have breakfast. I declined and got my coffee and headed south. I drove under the speed limit (no snickering out there) and chatted with the Auntie Ev. When I arrived at the house, Rich met me at the door stating, “You missed it!” I ignored him, until I heard the mewing of a baby. I raced up stairs at 9:05 AM and saw that indeed, I had missed it! But Heather did fine without me and empathetic, three-year-old Xander was a great stand in Doula. I got to see Heather still in the tub nursing the newest little Haupt. He is a doll. I am so proud of my girls! And next time I will NOT stop and wait for coffee. :-)

2 comments:

Annalyn said...

ohoh! what a little cutie!! Can I hold him please?

That's such a great story. :smiles:

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

ohh the stories we have to tell! Next time, I won't worry so much about crying wolf and get you down quicker!!!