This weekend I went to Michele's bridal shower. We were all asked to bring a quote or thought on marriage. I consulted one of my favorite authors, Madeleine L'Engle and took this:
"And what I must learn is to love with all of me, giving all of me, and yet remain whole in myself. Any other kind of love is too demanding of the other; it takes, rather than gives. To love so completely that you lose yourself in another person is not good. You are giving a weight, not the sense of lightness and light that loving someone should give. To love wholly, generously, and yet retain the core that makes you you."
The mystery of the two becoming one is somewhat like the trinity. They are one, and yet they keep their individuality. Marriage is becoming one, and yet each retain the core that makes you you.
Monday, March 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment