Monday, April 30, 2007

Dragon Eats Little Boy

Gilbert Global Village Festival – where Dragons eat little Boys
Heather, Xander, Keegan and I went to the Gilbert Global Village Festival two Saturdays ago. It was just the right size for Xander. Big enough to be exciting but small enough not to be too scary.

The first thing as we approached the Festival was the belly dancers. Xander was fascinated. To be honest, so were Heather and I. But we decided to move on quickly rather than let Xander watch. We came to the next stage – which had the Philipino dancers. They were great and we watched for quite a while. Then it was the parade of nations. The bagpiper lead the parade --in full Scottish costume – Xander did not ask why the man was wearing a skirt, er… kilt. He loved the bagpipes. Then came the school age children in native costume, carrying flags. At the end of the parade came the Dragon. This dragon was very scary to a two year old. I am down talking to Xander and pointing at the dragon and laughing. At which point the Dragon danced over and opened his mouth and covered us both. I was laughing and holding on to a terrified Xander!

Then we moved on to the clown – who did not terrify Xander. I asked him if he wanted to have his face painted and he chose the sun.

We walked over to a booth of a charity which supplies livestock to poor countries. They had a mama goat with one week old babies! Xander loved petting them.

No comments: