Sunday, September 9, 2007

Heather tagged me in a recipe exchange. So I need to post four favorite recipes. Because I am in a new season of life (working full time – need to get a meal on the table ASAP) I have included two quick and easy, and two old favorites. And because I write this primarily for the girls (who have already been tagged) and my mom (who does not blog) I have no one to tag. But I do think the gals over at Playful Childhood should post some "playful" recipees!

Oriental Beef Lo-Mein (ready in 20 minutes, serves 6)
8 ounces vermicelli or spaghetti
¾ cup sour cream
1 envelope sir-fry seasoning mix
1 Tbsp. sesame or vegetable oil
¾ lb. pre-cut stir-fry beef
2 garlic cloves crushed
4 cups broccoli slaw mix
1 red pepper, cut into thin strips.

1. Stir together sour cream and season mix. Set aside.
2. Cook pasta. Drain. Keep warm.
3. Heat oil in large frying pan or wok; add beef and garlic. Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly until beef is no longer pink (2-3 minutes). Add broccoli slaw mix and pepper; continue to cook for one or two minutes.
4. Reduce heat to low; stir in sour cream mixture. Cook until heated through – about one minute. Add cooked pasta, toss to coat well.

Stir Fry Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing (ready in 20 minutes, serves 6)
1 cup sour cream
2-3 Tbs. honey Dijon mustard
3-5 Tbs. milk
1 lb. pre-cut stir-fry beef
1 Tbs. butter
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 small onion in ¼ inch slices
1 red pepper in ¼ inch slices
6 cups mixed salad greens or spinach

1. Stir together first three ingredients for dressing. Set aside.
2. Stir together beef, butter, salt & pepper in skillet. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly; until beef is no longer pink (5-6 minutes). Add onion and red pepper. Continue cooking 2-3 minutes.
3. Toss salad greens and beef mixture and dressing. Serve.

Chicken Kiev (serves 4)
½ cup butter
½ cup dry bread crumbs
2 Tbs. parmesan cheese
½ tsp garlic salt
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
¼ tsp salt
4 chicken breasts
¼ cup apple juice or white wine
¼ cup green onion, chopped
¼ cup parsley, chopped

1. Heat over on 375°
2. Combine crumbs, chess, salt, garlic, basil & oregano.
3. Melt butter in skillet. Dip chicken in butter, then crumb mix and place in ungreased pan. 4. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
5. Meanwhile add wine, onion & parsley to leftover butter. Pour sauce over chicken for the last 3-5 minutes of baking time.

Pork Marinate (Thanks, Mom!)
½ cup soy sauce
1 Tbs. grated onion
1 clove garlic crushed
1 Tbs. vinegar
½ tsp. cayenne
¼ tsp. sugar

1. Mix all this and soak pork (any roast cut – we like the tenderloins) for 24 hours or more.
2. Preheat oven to 325°.
3. Bake uncovered in mixture. Time according to roast weight.
4. Make gravy –but do not add any salt or seasoning, just flour or corn starch dissolved in water.
5. Serve with mashed potatoes (because the gravy is soooo yummy).

2 comments:

Mrs. Miller said...

I ADORE Oriental Beef Lo-Mein!!!!!!!! I'm making it this week! Thanks for the reminder, Mom!

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

I can vouch for ALL of these recipes!!! And I only have a make-shift version of the chicken kiev,so thanks for the "official" version!