Sunday, September 2, 2007

Dangerous Boys in the Desert

Recently Tom and I were discussing Heather’s blog on The Dangerous Book for Boys and Tom told me one of the things he and his friends did in Arizona when he was young.



The boys would go out into the desert and make a ring of fire. They would dig a shallow trench and fill it with fuel they made from gasoline and other stuff from one of the boy’s chemistry set. The ring would be around some dead wood that they knew (by experience) would probably have some special animals under it. They would light the fire and flip the wood. Then the scorpions would be so afraid of the fire that they would fight to the death. Yes, they would sting each other! As the fire would die down the boys would kill any scorpions left by stepping on them, or better yet by impaling them with a stick.




Eww! Boys! Now the question is… Will Heather and Bethany leave their little boys to play with Opa??

3 comments:

Simple Joys said...

Friday night I was at the computer downstairs doing some work. I turned off the computer and looked up and saw on the wall - on the tree painted on the wall---- a 3 inch scorpion climbing the wall/tree. I freaked out and called for Tom. Of course I did not have on shoes. I called for him to come immediately and bring a shoe. My knight in shining armor killed the beast and then got his black light and checked the whole house to see if there was another one. For those of you not from the desert these little beasties glow under the black light and many of us own battery powered black lights so we can go scorpion hunting!

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

That is so cool. Why didn't he show us stuff like that when we were little?!?!?!?

Mrs. Miller said...

Dad was soooo cute when he was little (I refer, of course to the photo -- not to the scorpion killings!). Still, he can always play with my boys and teach them scary stuff.