Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sin & Grace

Paul tells us, “If anyone is caught in any transgression you how are spiritual should restore him….”(Gal 6:1) Notice that “if” rather than “when” is used in this sentence. It is not a given that we sin everyday, every moment, in every way.

John states, “My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." (1Jn 2:1) Again notice the “if.” What a wonderful Plan B it is - that we have an advocate with the Father! But Plan A is also wonderful – that we may not sin. And GRACE is the key for both Plan A and Plan B. In this passage John tells us that we are able to not sin because of the power of what he is writing to us in the scriptures.

Tom and I have been discussing sanctification for months. Tom will be writing more about sanctification on his blog in the coming weeks.

Yes, we were born in sin. Yes, we still sin. But we do not sin in every thought word and deed. That idea is not found in the Scriptures. Faith rises in my heart as I realize and trust that, as the girls learned in Awana:

We were saved from the penalty of sin.
We are being saved from the power of sin.
We will be saved from the presence of sin.

Or as the song that we sang at church last week says:

Grace paid for my sins
and brought me to life;
Grace clothes me with power
to do what is right;
Grace will lead me to heaven
where I'll see Your face
And never cease
to thank You for Your grace.

2 comments:

Joyface said...

I really like grace. I think sometimes that we become to consumed with sin and forget that grace has overcome that sin. I can't wait to see Dad's thoughts on his blog.

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

I love that song. What a faith builder. Especially as I've had an area of selfishness exposed today, it is so faith building to know that God's grace is sufficient to not only forgive, but also to bring about change!